e mërkurë, 13 qershor 2007

Fulfillment of the soul

Colossians 3:14 And to all these virtues add love, which is the perfect bond. 3:15 Let the peace of Christ be in control in your heart (for you were in fact called as one body to this peace), and be thankful.

Paul has made a list of virtues: mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forgiveness. All of these are wonderful virtues. No one would disagree. The perfect superglue is love. It bonds all of these virtues together so that they operate in unity.

But how can I draw love out of myself when there is none to draw? Sometimes folks get under my skin. Sometimes folks are hard to love.

Is the problem with them? Or with me? It's really both.

My soul needs fulfillment. I need to be content with something. Generally, I look to people around me. Inevitably, they disappoint. Often, I try to find peace within myself. I am disappointed there also. It is hard to love those who continually let us down.

We have exchanged the One that can satisfy our souls, for other things or people that cannot satisfy in the same way. When we look to God for satisfaction, we are not let down. If we are satisfied with God, then we no longer need to look at those around us for fulfillment. They are relieved of this burden and we are free to love them.

Look to God to complete your soul. Then you will be free to love others as this verse commands.

Nuk ka komente: